Legal Translation Services
What you need to know to successfully order and get a professional legal translation.
We Translate Important legal documents
Business is increasingly global and global operation comes with a challenge. Documents such as contracts, agreements and others may be used cross-borders.
When that is the case, which language should be adopted? How to assure that these documents are legally valid in both the origin and destination countries? Accuracy and respect to different legal systems can mean the difference between success and failure.
Each country's legal authorities - whether courts, registry offices, ministries, or executive agencies - operate under their own laws, rules, and procedures. Ignoring them can lead to serious issues for a business trying to establish itself, create a partnership, or resolve a problem. And this "right or wrong" standard is one of the main concerns when it comes to legal translation services.
The Federal Rule of Evidence No. 604 says that translators must be qualified and take an oath promising to do a true translation. A party who does not follow this rule could face sanctions from the court. Similar rules exist on state level. Our team is capable of following requirements specific to your case based on advice from your counsel.
Cross-border activities requiring Legal Translation Services
These are some of the common international ventures that require legal documents translated:
- Starting a business
- Creating partnerships between companies
- Contracts of sale and purchase of products and services
- Relocating employees across borders
- Starting or responding to lawsuits filed in foreign courts
- Translating evidence collected for cases
- International business deals
- Applying for licenses in other countries
Legal Document Translation Examples
- A U.S. law firm defending an aircraft manufacturer against wrongful death claims: related to an aircraft crashing outside the U.S. Both US and non US citizens hired a U.S. law firm to represent their claims. Depending on the crash site, different languages are used in witness statements, accident investigations, medical documents, etc. Many of these documents would need English translations meeting the court standards.
- A contract for business in a foreign country need to be translated into that country's language. A party to the contract who does not speak the language would need a translation to understand its content. Additionally, a foreign country may require a contract to be written in a certain language to be enforceable.
- A startup company opening a branch in Mexico need to translate its by-laws into Spanish so local attorneys could submit the translated version to the registration authorities. Other documents such as contracts between the US HQ and local parties, and personal documents for the US management team relocating to Mexico, may require translation services.
Risks of Using Cheap Legal Translations
Your venture's success overseas require legal documents that must be translated accurately and in compliance with the laws of the country where the documents will be used. Even minor translation mistakes can lead to ambiguity and call the credibility of your company into question. Misspellings, wrong word choices, clumsy or unintelligible text passages may result in many problems for your company.
In a lawsuit where the facts will dictate the outcome, a translator's legal terminology can place facts in a softer or harsher light with a significant impact on the case. Skilled legal translators use knowledge and experience to assess the best translations for the context. Expert-level translation skills take years, if not decades, to develop. That is why quality foreign language translations will never be possible at the lowest bid level.
Potential consequences of using cheap and low-quality legal translation services:
- Opposing party challenges your translated document and the judge orders you to get a better translation.
- Court or agency penalties and fines.
- Increased costs for attorneys and other professionals due to rework.
- Delays in processes resulting in possible lost opportunities.
- Loss of confidence in your professionalism by partners, courts, and agencies.
- Interpretation of contract wording in your disfavor when you provided the faulty translation.
Accurate Legal Translations: Credentials and QA.
Need quality legal translations into foreign languages? We can help. Our experience, standards, and credentials highlight how serious we handle your legal translation needs:
- Accreditation by the American Translation Association.
- Translators certified by relevant associations and universities.
- Native speakers of the target language with extensive linguistic training and experience.
- Attention to terminology of the source and target languages.
- Concept adaptations for translations involving both Civil Law and Common Law systems.
Our project managers supervise your project it from start to finish. Additionally, our team applies quality control steps such as:
- Translated documents are reviewed and approved by a second person.
- Certified translations include a statement of accuracy and faithfulness to the original document.
- Quality control by the translator and TTC as per ISO 9001 and ISO 17100 standards
- We guarantee acceptance of our legal translation services in US courts and government departments.
Some of the Law specialties that We Cover
We have access to legal experts in many specialty areas of law, such as:
For a Wide Variety of Legal Documents
Examples of certified legal translation services provided by our company on a daily basis.
Additional Services for Legal Translations
Ideally, your attorney or in-house counsel will tell you the exact legal requirements for our legal translation service. As a free service, our staff can provide some recommendations on additional services such as:
Certified Legal Translations. For documents to be used in court, we can certify that our translation is faithful to the original and prepared by professional translators under a professional translation company's supervision. If subpoenaed, our company may appear in court to provide a sworn attestation of the certification (costs covered by the Client).
Notarization. a notarization of our Certified Translations adds another element of trust. Notarization is also required for an apostille, which is in turn required for translated documents to be accepted by courts in some countries.
County Clerk. County clerks verify the signatures of notary publics who signed our certification statements. The country clerk will sign along with the notary public’s signature and attach their seal to the document.
Apostille. Apostille is a protocol needed for a document to be considered nationalized in the target country. In the US, the State Department issues apostilles for translated documents that have been certified and notarized. Learn more about apostilles here.
24 Hours. Rush translation services available for important documents.
We can also handle specific requirements unique to your legal translation project. Contact us now to learn more about our legal document translation services.
Legal Translation Company
Our client base includes all entities involved in legal proceedings: law firms, government agencies, courts of law, and corporations from the US and other countries.
Receive a quote today!
Certified Translation Services with a
100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
Join hundreds of satisfied clients who continue using our legal translation services, including Law Firms, Government Departments, Courts, and Corporations in the US, Canada, and Europe.
Whether you need a legal Spanish translation or any of our 200+ languages translated, we guarantee the acceptance of our translated documents in any US court. Need legal interpretation? We can help. Quality legal translations provided for all main languages: English, Spanish, Chinese, etc. Check our more than 200 languages available.