SoA – The Society of Authors – UK
The Society of Authors is a non-profit making organization, founded in 1884, 'to protect the rights and further the interests of authors'.
It has been serving the interests of professional writers for more than a century. Today it has more than 8,500 members writing in all areas of the profession.
Whatever your specialization, from novelists to doctors, textbook writers to ghost writers, broadcasters to academics, illustrators to translators, you are eligible
as soon as you have been offered a contract.
The staff is ready to help members with any query, however trivial or obscure, relating to the business of writing. Our services include the confidential, individual
vetting of contracts, and help with professional disputes.
In addition, the Society holds meetings and seminars, publishes a quarterly journal, The Author, and maintains a database of members? specializations.
It administers a wide range of prizes, as well as the Authors? Foundation, which is one of the very few bodies making grants to help with work in progress for
Full members of the Society of Authors benefit from a wide range of services including:
- Advice on any professional issue or problem (including copyright, agents, publishers, film options)
- Clause-by-clause contract vetting
- The Author a quarterly journal packed with useful advice, information and articles
- Free copies of the extensive Quick Guide series (follow link for details of titles)
- Opportunities to meet other writers, as well as publishers and agents
- Invitations to talks, seminars and regional meetings
- Membership of specialist groups
- Free ALCS membership
- Listing on our online database
- Up to 25% discount on books from OUP, Blackwells, Waterstone's, Foyles and The Westminster Bookshop
- Access to a free Tax Helpline provided by the accountants HW Fisher & Company
- Special offers on subscriptions to The Bookseller, car and van rental, insurance, leisure breaks at Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza hotels and HSBC pensions
- Membership of the London Press Club and the Royal Over-Seas League at the group rate
- Special rates of accommodation at the New Cavendish Club and the Goodenough Club
- Use of the Poetry Society Cafe
- Reduced room hire rates for the Society's boardroom
One-year membership: ?90 (?64 for those aged under 35)
SoA - The Society of Authors ? UK
84 Drayton Gardens
Tel: 020 7373 6642
Fax: 020 7373 5768
Contact Form: http://www.societyofauthors.net/contact_us/